Friday, June 17, 2016

Friday Video: What Did Shakespeare's English Sound Like?

Friday, June 17, 2016
Romeo & Juliet
Loretta reports:

Not long ago, I posted a short video about the way the English language has changed over the centuries.

I raised the question about how understandable Shakespeare’s English would be to modern audiences: not only in the sense of unfamiliar words and phrases but also in terms of the sounds.

Lo and behold, wandering through YouTube at some point when I probably should have been working on the WIP, I found the answer as well as more glimpses of what goes on at the new Globe theater.


Image: Francesco Hayez, L'ultimo bacio di Giuletta e Romeo (Romeo and Juliet's Last Kiss)

Clicking on the image will enlarge it.  Clicking on the caption will take you to the source, where you can learn more and enlarge images as needed.

Readers who receive our blog via email might see a rectangle, square, or nothing where the video ought to be.  To watch the video, please click on the title to this post.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

why, it's not so different to north Suffolk/south Norfolk/Waveney valley but spoken a bit faster

Rosi said...

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks so much for posting this.

KittyinVA said...

That was so interesting. I love Shakespeare and found the new way of looking at the verse to be stunning. It's almost a new language to be learned. Makes me almost wish I had another life to live where I could immerse myself in all this at The Globe. Wow, hog heaven!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket